Skip to main content

Reign of the Fallen by Sarah Glenn Marsh

Title: Reign of the Fallen
Author: Sarah Glenn Marsh

This is a fantasy story of a world where mages exist, their powers determined by the color of their eyes.  This particular book focuses mainly on the necromancers, those who bring the dead back to the living world.  The Dead must remain completely shrouded ; if even the tiniest bit of their flesh is seen by a living person, they turn into a Shade, a monstrous creature that feeds on both the Dead and the living.

The royal family has been using this method of returning to life for centuries ; in fact, the king himself has been ruling for 200 years.  Though he resists change, he is a well-liked king, as is the rest of the royal family.

Our main character is Odessa, nicknamed Sparrow, and she is one of the necromancers.  She is very good at what she does, maybe to the point of being a Mary Sue character, although she does have flaws.

All is going well, until one of the necromancers is killed by a Shade.  Then someone seems to be making Shades by purposefully pulling the shrouds from the Dead. Sparrow and her friends are tasked with finding out who is behind this.

This is also a story of grief.  Sparrow, and the secondary characters, lose someone they are close to, and we see how this affects them.  The main focus of the story of grief is on Sparrow and how she copes, or doesn't cope, but we also see some of how affects others as well.  The grief consumes Sparrow, leading to a story of addiction.  The grief and addiction are an important part of the story, with the grief competing with the fantasy elements to become the main plotline.

This is somewhat a romance story.  The romance angles do not take over the story.  It is not a typical romance novel, but there are relationships there, both seasoned and budding. This is a story of diversity.  There are several LGBTQ relationships in the story.  There are gay, lesbian, and bisexual characters that are important to the story, not just minor characters.

There is even more potential for more books.  This is the first in a series, and I would guess that the series will continue with Sparrow.  However, I could see where the author could pick up with some of the secondary characters, or branch off and explore the other mages.  There are weather mages, beast mages, and healers, and Princess Valoria is an inventor, something that hasn't existed in years.  I think a book from any of the characters points of view would be interesting.

I thought this was a really good book.  I have seen mixed reviews online, but for me, this one held my attention and kept me interested.  There was just one flaw.  I knew who the "bad guy" was from the moment they were introduced to the story.  I just knew they were too good to be true.  Maybe it was from coming off another book I read recently with a similar character type, or maybe it really was obvious, I'm not sure.   If you're reading this, you should read the book and let me know if you thought it was obvious too!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Deconstructed by Liz Talley

  Update 8/24/22: Liz Talley has written a sequel!  If the Dress Fits comes out October 25, 2022! There are so many things I love about this book. First and foremost, Liz Talley's writing style is fun, easygoing, and feels like a chat with your best friend. Cricket and Ruby are both fierce women, and their friendship is strong, with them truly being there for each other when it mattered. I particularly loved Ruby -- her background, her personality, her style and fashion designs. I wish I could see those designs in person or a drawing of them! No spoilers here, but her love interests and how they turn out are perfect. Yellow carnations -- nice touch. As for Cricket, her journey to catch her husband cheating is a wild, and enjoyable, ride (for the reader, not her!). Along the way, who can blame her if she wants to get to know Griffin better. My only complaint with the book is the little jumps forward between chapters (a week, a month near the end). I wanted more time to know everyth

Shiver and Linger by Maggie Stiefvater - Slight Spoiler Alert

Review written on August 7, 2010 ** Mildly Spoilerish** Books 1 and 2 in the Mercy Falls series I read Shiver last year, shortly after it came out.  I did really enjoy the book and even voted to be sure it would appear on the list for the committee I'm on.  However, I always had one problem with the book -the "cure".  No one else seemed as bothered by this as me, but I just can't get past that.  I did like that there was some science involved with why they turned into the wolves when it was cold.  Despite the so-called cure, the book was good, so of course I wanted to read the second book, Linger . Only ten chapters in, I was highly annoyed by the book already.  The moment that Grace said that Isabel was cold and Isabel said it was Grace that was hot, I just knew that she was going to be sick and how she would be "cured".  At first I thought that Sam had gotten her sick somehow, but at least that wasn't the case.  At least what Cole decipher

Initial thoughts on Mockingjay

Don't worry, I'm going to try and stay away from spoilers, at least for now!  In my opinion, the hardest part of writing any book or story is writing the ending.  I imagine that it's probably incredibly more difficult when you are writing the ending of a book that has been a popular series.  The author always knows that some fans will love it and some fans will hate it.  Of course you can't please everyone. That said, how do I feel about Mockingjay?  As I book, I loved it, and I wasn't disappointed at all.  The action was just as fast-paced and captivating as the two previous books of the series.  Suzanne Collins has mastered the art of keeping the reader from getting bored.  Around half way through the book, I got a little teary, but I won't say why just yet.  Nor will I reveal what part of the ending of the series made me cry.  Maybe later I'll come back, when more people have finished the book, or when I figure out if there's a way to do something