Skip to main content

Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi

Title: Children of Blood and Bone

Author: Tomi Adeyemi

Release Date: March 6, 2018

I received an ARC of this book through the library I work at.  I was really excited to read this one.  The cover is beautiful, and the story is just as lovely.  What can I say without spoiling it?

This book is about a girl who lives in a world that used to have magic, but the magic has died.  The king saw to that eleven years ago, killing the magic and the adults who once had it.  The girl, Zelie watched them take her mother, beat her father, and she has worked to never lose another family member.  Now there is a spark, a hope that magic may return.  A rogue princess that escapes the castle and brings that hope.  But there is also a prince who threatens that hope, and their father, the king, will see to the final death of magic if he has anything to say about it.

There is so much more to this book than just magic.

There is the world it takes place in.  I read that the world is built on a fictional Nigeria. Some of the place names are real places in Nigeria.  The people are true to those places, with dark skin, though those that have the potential to wield magic have white hair.

There are also exciting fight scenes, powerful women and men, wielding magic, swords, and staves.

The language is beautiful.  Though I could not understand the incantations, which I believe where in Yoruba, I loved that it was mixed in.  I am thinking about listening to the audio when it is released just to hear the pronunciations of the language and the names.

There are prejudices against the maji, those who have magic, and the diviners, those who have the potential to have magic.  They are seen as scum of the earth types.  They are treated poorly, taxed, and not allowed to date/marry the kosidan, or warriors.

There is a strong sense of family, between Zelie, her brother, and their father. The princess, Amari, and her brother, Inan, care about each other, even if their father has trained them to have a sense of duty before everything else.  Family is an important element to the story.

What's a YA book without romance?  That's the way it seems to be these days.  And so I expected the romances that were built in this novel, but they were done well and they weren't the main focus of the story.

I only found a few faults with the book, minor things.  There were a couple of wording issues.  There was one moment when one of the characters called out "Guys" to the other characters, and it pulled me out of the narrative, away from the fantasy feel and the way that they had been talking.  It felt too modern and non-fantasy.  Also, the names of the animals felt weird at first.  The cat creatures they ride are larger, horned versions of the panthers and lions that we have in our world, and they are called panthonaires and lionaires.  I initially felt like the names could have been more creative, but then it would have taken more time to explain the similarities.  After a bit, it was easy to ignore and didn't take away from the story.  Like I said, both of these were minor issues in an otherwise great book.

I thought this was a beautifully told, exciting novel, and I can't wait for the next book!

Comments

  1. I just looking at this book deciding if I should read it or not. Think I will!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Deconstructed by Liz Talley

  Update 8/24/22: Liz Talley has written a sequel!  If the Dress Fits comes out October 25, 2022! There are so many things I love about this book. First and foremost, Liz Talley's writing style is fun, easygoing, and feels like a chat with your best friend. Cricket and Ruby are both fierce women, and their friendship is strong, with them truly being there for each other when it mattered. I particularly loved Ruby -- her background, her personality, her style and fashion designs. I wish I could see those designs in person or a drawing of them! No spoilers here, but her love interests and how they turn out are perfect. Yellow carnations -- nice touch. As for Cricket, her journey to catch her husband cheating is a wild, and enjoyable, ride (for the reader, not her!). Along the way, who can blame her if she wants to get to know Griffin better. My only complaint with the book is the little jumps forward between chapters (a week, a month near the end). I wanted more time to know everyth

Shiver and Linger by Maggie Stiefvater - Slight Spoiler Alert

Review written on August 7, 2010 ** Mildly Spoilerish** Books 1 and 2 in the Mercy Falls series I read Shiver last year, shortly after it came out.  I did really enjoy the book and even voted to be sure it would appear on the list for the committee I'm on.  However, I always had one problem with the book -the "cure".  No one else seemed as bothered by this as me, but I just can't get past that.  I did like that there was some science involved with why they turned into the wolves when it was cold.  Despite the so-called cure, the book was good, so of course I wanted to read the second book, Linger . Only ten chapters in, I was highly annoyed by the book already.  The moment that Grace said that Isabel was cold and Isabel said it was Grace that was hot, I just knew that she was going to be sick and how she would be "cured".  At first I thought that Sam had gotten her sick somehow, but at least that wasn't the case.  At least what Cole decipher

Bravely by Maggie Stiefvater

  I read in an interview with Maggie Stiefvater that this book would appeal to both fans of the Disney movie Brave, as this is a sequel to the movie, and to her longtime fans. I happen to be an adult fan of both. I decided to rewatch the movie before reading the book because even though Merida is my favorite Disney princess, I haven't seen the movie since it was released, and I wanted to make sure it was fresh in my mind in case I needed to remember any plot points. This is not necessary though, as readers new to Merida's story can still find enjoyment in the book. It picks up a few years after the movie, and though it does occasionally mention the events of the movie, it is an entirely new story, where Merida, the princess of DunBroch, must spend a year trying to bring change to her family in order to save them after making a bargain with two gods. In a way, I think rewatching the movie first hindered my enjoyment of the book, because for the first half, I kept hearing movie M