Skip to main content

Renegades by Marissa Meyer



Title: Renegades
Author: Marissa Meyer

Some spoilers contained below.  Read at your own risk.

Cover: At first I didn't particularly care for the cover, but after reading the book, I feel that it fits the book pretty well.  Still not sure that someone would pick it up based off the cover though.

Review: I really wanted to like this book.  I loved Marissa Meyer's Lunar Chronicles series, and I enjoyed her book Heartless.  But I felt going in that I might not like this one as much, and I was right.  Actually I was pretty disappointed with it, and maybe that was because I was expecting to be disappointed.  Right from the start, before the book even started, there is a character list that includes the powers of the characters, and some of those powers made me cringe.  More on that in a moment.

The premise is that some people, many people, have super powers and these people are called prodigies.  Years ago a prodigy named Ace Anarchy rose up in power.  He believed that prodigies should not have to hide their power.  He was seen as a villain, and villains ruled the world for a while.  Eventually superheroes began to surface, and they called themselves Renegades.  They finally took down Ace and the villains.  So states the prologue of our story.  When our main character, Nova, is six years old her family is killed by hitman hired by a gang of villains. The Renegades had promised to protect her family, so Nova grows up hating the Renegades, and following the man the rescued her, her uncle, Ace Anarchy.  After her uncle is killed, she remains with the villains.

Our present day story begins ten years after Nova's family was killed.  Nova is now sixteen and a villain herself, called Nightmare.  She is preparing to kill the head of the Renegade council, Captain Chromium.  When this does not go as planned, she infiltrates the Renegades as a spy to learn more about them, hoping to take them down from the inside.  She doesn't plan to develop feelings for Adrian, the head of her team, but of course she does.  He is the other main character, and the story switches to his point of view at times.  His power is the ability to sketch things and make those things come to life.  He uses this ability to create an alter ego, The Sentinel.

The fact that a romance would build between Nova and Adrian was expected, but I'm not too bothered by that.  I'm more annoyed by the powers of some of the characters, as I mentioned above.  Namely, Danna, or Monarch's ability to turn into a swarm of butterflies.  Really?!? A swarm of butterflies.  What good is that?  It is supposed to allow her to be good at surveillance.  I guess.  I got the feeling that Meyer knew that people would find her unbelievable because she tried to make everyone in the book not question her.  Not that she was in the book much.  Other characters just seemed to have powers taken directly from our world's comic books.  I just found them not original enough.  Quite a ways into the book, I remembered reading Zeroes by Scott Westerfeld and thinking that the powers of the characters in that series were pretty original and interesting, so I think Meyer could have done a better job.  I felt like other parts of the book were repetitive as well.

I kept reading because I enjoyed her other works.  I there to be a big twist at the end.  There is indeed a twist at the end, but it didn't make me love the book.   I just wanted more out of this book, and it didn't deliver. There is a sequel coming in November 2018, and I will read it in the hopes of redemption for the series, but I don't have high hopes for it.

After some more thought: 

Spoilers Ahead: 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Deconstructed by Liz Talley

  Update 8/24/22: Liz Talley has written a sequel!  If the Dress Fits comes out October 25, 2022! There are so many things I love about this book. First and foremost, Liz Talley's writing style is fun, easygoing, and feels like a chat with your best friend. Cricket and Ruby are both fierce women, and their friendship is strong, with them truly being there for each other when it mattered. I particularly loved Ruby -- her background, her personality, her style and fashion designs. I wish I could see those designs in person or a drawing of them! No spoilers here, but her love interests and how they turn out are perfect. Yellow carnations -- nice touch. As for Cricket, her journey to catch her husband cheating is a wild, and enjoyable, ride (for the reader, not her!). Along the way, who can blame her if she wants to get to know Griffin better. My only complaint with the book is the little jumps forward between chapters (a week, a month near the end). I wanted more time to know everyth

Shiver and Linger by Maggie Stiefvater - Slight Spoiler Alert

Review written on August 7, 2010 ** Mildly Spoilerish** Books 1 and 2 in the Mercy Falls series I read Shiver last year, shortly after it came out.  I did really enjoy the book and even voted to be sure it would appear on the list for the committee I'm on.  However, I always had one problem with the book -the "cure".  No one else seemed as bothered by this as me, but I just can't get past that.  I did like that there was some science involved with why they turned into the wolves when it was cold.  Despite the so-called cure, the book was good, so of course I wanted to read the second book, Linger . Only ten chapters in, I was highly annoyed by the book already.  The moment that Grace said that Isabel was cold and Isabel said it was Grace that was hot, I just knew that she was going to be sick and how she would be "cured".  At first I thought that Sam had gotten her sick somehow, but at least that wasn't the case.  At least what Cole decipher

Initial thoughts on Mockingjay

Don't worry, I'm going to try and stay away from spoilers, at least for now!  In my opinion, the hardest part of writing any book or story is writing the ending.  I imagine that it's probably incredibly more difficult when you are writing the ending of a book that has been a popular series.  The author always knows that some fans will love it and some fans will hate it.  Of course you can't please everyone. That said, how do I feel about Mockingjay?  As I book, I loved it, and I wasn't disappointed at all.  The action was just as fast-paced and captivating as the two previous books of the series.  Suzanne Collins has mastered the art of keeping the reader from getting bored.  Around half way through the book, I got a little teary, but I won't say why just yet.  Nor will I reveal what part of the ending of the series made me cry.  Maybe later I'll come back, when more people have finished the book, or when I figure out if there's a way to do something