Skip to main content

The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner by Stephenie Meyer

Review written on July 16, 2010 




I should start by saying that I've become disillusioned by the whole Twilight series.  When I first read the books, I whizzed through them and enjoyed them.  If I think of them only as light, fun, fluff, then I can still find them enjoyable.  But as a member of a committee that selects the best teen books of the current year, I can't help but cringe when I think about the books.  They are fast reads, and if you want something that you don't really have to think about, then they can be enjoyable.  But they really aren't that well-written, and there are certain things in the books that I dislike in regards to vampire mythology.  I have seen the movies - I felt that the first movie was just okay, the second movie was better, and I liked the third movie too, but there are still things that I cringe over.  As far as characters go, I've never been a fan of Bella, or Edward for that matter.  As far as the books go, I love Jacob and Alice.  And for the movies, I still love Jacob, and Jasper is growing on me too after seeing the third movie.  Even in book form, I'm becoming more interested in Jasper.

All that said, I've just finished The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner and I have some initial thoughts about it.  Through the first half, I wasn't particularly fond of the book, still so disillusioned with the series as a whole, I think.  There were certain things, such as Bree and Diego's first experience with how they look in the sun, that I really didn't care for.  I also wasn't sure if I liked Bree all that much at that point.  During the second half of the book, she did start to grow on me, and I was fond of Diego as well.  I can at least say that I like Bree more than I do Bella.  I was again intrigued by Jasper at the end.  I know that eventually I will reread the whole series, and I think I'll pay more attention to Jasper throughout the books.  I think that my favorite character of the novella is definitely Fred, or Freaky Fred, and I think that if Stephenie Meyer wanted to, she could definitely write more books about him.  his character was intriguing and has the potential for a great book.  Over all, for a disillusioned fan, the book was fairly good.

Stephenie Meyer, if you're listening, please give us more Fred!

Comments

  1. I have to say I agree with completely everything you said here about the entire series. I have't read this one yet though and I wasn't sure if I wanted to (since I've also become a little disillusioned with the series), but after reading your review I'm more curious about it and whether or not i'll be fond of bree. So, I guess I need to see if I can grab a copy off of freecycle (there is a backorder for this on our library's website of over 130 people waiting to check it out...crazy!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it's just sitting on the shelf at my library. Not sure why. I don't think a lot of people here know about it. If for nothing else, read it for Fred, I think you'll like him :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Deconstructed by Liz Talley

  Update 8/24/22: Liz Talley has written a sequel!  If the Dress Fits comes out October 25, 2022! There are so many things I love about this book. First and foremost, Liz Talley's writing style is fun, easygoing, and feels like a chat with your best friend. Cricket and Ruby are both fierce women, and their friendship is strong, with them truly being there for each other when it mattered. I particularly loved Ruby -- her background, her personality, her style and fashion designs. I wish I could see those designs in person or a drawing of them! No spoilers here, but her love interests and how they turn out are perfect. Yellow carnations -- nice touch. As for Cricket, her journey to catch her husband cheating is a wild, and enjoyable, ride (for the reader, not her!). Along the way, who can blame her if she wants to get to know Griffin better. My only complaint with the book is the little jumps forward between chapters (a week, a month near the end). I wanted more time to know everyth

Shiver and Linger by Maggie Stiefvater - Slight Spoiler Alert

Review written on August 7, 2010 ** Mildly Spoilerish** Books 1 and 2 in the Mercy Falls series I read Shiver last year, shortly after it came out.  I did really enjoy the book and even voted to be sure it would appear on the list for the committee I'm on.  However, I always had one problem with the book -the "cure".  No one else seemed as bothered by this as me, but I just can't get past that.  I did like that there was some science involved with why they turned into the wolves when it was cold.  Despite the so-called cure, the book was good, so of course I wanted to read the second book, Linger . Only ten chapters in, I was highly annoyed by the book already.  The moment that Grace said that Isabel was cold and Isabel said it was Grace that was hot, I just knew that she was going to be sick and how she would be "cured".  At first I thought that Sam had gotten her sick somehow, but at least that wasn't the case.  At least what Cole decipher

Initial thoughts on Mockingjay

Don't worry, I'm going to try and stay away from spoilers, at least for now!  In my opinion, the hardest part of writing any book or story is writing the ending.  I imagine that it's probably incredibly more difficult when you are writing the ending of a book that has been a popular series.  The author always knows that some fans will love it and some fans will hate it.  Of course you can't please everyone. That said, how do I feel about Mockingjay?  As I book, I loved it, and I wasn't disappointed at all.  The action was just as fast-paced and captivating as the two previous books of the series.  Suzanne Collins has mastered the art of keeping the reader from getting bored.  Around half way through the book, I got a little teary, but I won't say why just yet.  Nor will I reveal what part of the ending of the series made me cry.  Maybe later I'll come back, when more people have finished the book, or when I figure out if there's a way to do something