Skip to main content

Hunger Games Training Days Board Game Review

I wanted to love this game, but unfortunately, I was disappointed in it.  The Hunger Games is a great book series, and I've been anxiously awaiting the release of the third book, which is tomorrow!  I bought the game for my library and held a small program for teens to come in and play the game.  The night before, I played with the game with my husband in order to learn the rules ahead of time, so I could better assist the teens as they learned to play.  I guess I just wanted more from the game than it was able to provide.  We knew from the box that it was a strategy game, but I'd hoped that it would at least pull some trivia form the game. 

In the books, before the tributes actually go into the Hunger Games, they went through a couple of days of training in various events such as knot tying, wrestling, archery, edible plants, etc.  The board game takes place during those training days.  Players choose a district tribute to play from one of the nine districts that are represented.  For casual readers of the series that may not remember specific characters from these districts, and for those who haven't read the books, it makes little sense to include only nine of the twelve districts.  The tribute cards do not have names on them, so you are a generic tribute from whichever tribute you choose.  The attributes of each tribute seem to have been randomly chosen as well.

Event cards are laid out and each player decides how much effort to put into each event in order to win approval ratings.  The player with the highest approval rating at the end of the game wins.  The game typically consists of 2-3 days, and the number of events during each day depends on when the players randomly choose the end of day card for one of the events.  There is little incentive to get interested in the events, as the regular events simply have an approval rating and a name, such as wrestling, first aid, etc.  There's little creativity in the events.  The special events give players special abilities, but still there is no creativity. 

Basically the strategy game consists of players bidding their effort tokens on events in an attempt to gain the most approval ratings.  The teens that attended my program complained that the game was too complicated and weren't really interested in the game.  I had to walk them through each step of the game, and even then they only played because I asked them to.  I don't think they ever really saw a point to the game.  I can't blame them for that.

This could have been a much better game if it had a storyline that related back to the game in a way that was interesting and fun.  I think the lack of creativity will quickly make this one a dud. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Deconstructed by Liz Talley

  Update 8/24/22: Liz Talley has written a sequel!  If the Dress Fits comes out October 25, 2022! There are so many things I love about this book. First and foremost, Liz Talley's writing style is fun, easygoing, and feels like a chat with your best friend. Cricket and Ruby are both fierce women, and their friendship is strong, with them truly being there for each other when it mattered. I particularly loved Ruby -- her background, her personality, her style and fashion designs. I wish I could see those designs in person or a drawing of them! No spoilers here, but her love interests and how they turn out are perfect. Yellow carnations -- nice touch. As for Cricket, her journey to catch her husband cheating is a wild, and enjoyable, ride (for the reader, not her!). Along the way, who can blame her if she wants to get to know Griffin better. My only complaint with the book is the little jumps forward between chapters (a week, a month near the end). I wanted more time to know everyth

Shiver and Linger by Maggie Stiefvater - Slight Spoiler Alert

Review written on August 7, 2010 ** Mildly Spoilerish** Books 1 and 2 in the Mercy Falls series I read Shiver last year, shortly after it came out.  I did really enjoy the book and even voted to be sure it would appear on the list for the committee I'm on.  However, I always had one problem with the book -the "cure".  No one else seemed as bothered by this as me, but I just can't get past that.  I did like that there was some science involved with why they turned into the wolves when it was cold.  Despite the so-called cure, the book was good, so of course I wanted to read the second book, Linger . Only ten chapters in, I was highly annoyed by the book already.  The moment that Grace said that Isabel was cold and Isabel said it was Grace that was hot, I just knew that she was going to be sick and how she would be "cured".  At first I thought that Sam had gotten her sick somehow, but at least that wasn't the case.  At least what Cole decipher

Initial thoughts on Mockingjay

Don't worry, I'm going to try and stay away from spoilers, at least for now!  In my opinion, the hardest part of writing any book or story is writing the ending.  I imagine that it's probably incredibly more difficult when you are writing the ending of a book that has been a popular series.  The author always knows that some fans will love it and some fans will hate it.  Of course you can't please everyone. That said, how do I feel about Mockingjay?  As I book, I loved it, and I wasn't disappointed at all.  The action was just as fast-paced and captivating as the two previous books of the series.  Suzanne Collins has mastered the art of keeping the reader from getting bored.  Around half way through the book, I got a little teary, but I won't say why just yet.  Nor will I reveal what part of the ending of the series made me cry.  Maybe later I'll come back, when more people have finished the book, or when I figure out if there's a way to do something