Skip to main content

Wicked Girls: A Novel of the Salem Witch Trials by by Stephanie Hemphill


I've always been fascinated by the history of the Salem Witch Trials, so when I was checking this book in, I immediately nabbed it for myself!  It wasn't until later that I realized that the book is written in verse.  I've only read a few other books in verse, but I do like the style, so I was looking forward to a quick read about a topic that I enjoy.

At first I had a little trouble getting into the old style of language, which isn't always a problem for me, but I think it had something to do with with the flow of the language in verse.  It wasn't long before I was wrapped up in the book though.

The story is a fictional account of the witch trials told from the perspective of three of the actual girls who made the accusations during the trials, Ann Putnam, Jr., age 12, Mercy Lewis, age 17, and Margaret Stewart, age 17.   While Hemphill has created an interesting tale of what might have been the girl's motivations for accusing so many people of being witches, she has included factual information at the back of the book about the actual people involved in the case.  This information covers all of the girls involved in the accusations in the story, as well as those accused. 

This is definitely an interesting book with a different look at possible motivations behind the trials, but the characters of the story twisted and turned a bit too much at times.  Ann Putnam, Jr. was clearly in charge for most of the story, though her servant, Mercy Lewis, stepped into the lead at times, and people found it easy to follow her.  Mercy would go from that lead to being conflicted because she knew they were accusing innocent people and the guilt was too much for her.  Margaret was unlikeable from the start because of her snobbiness towards Mercy for being a pretty servant girl, but after she finds out that Mercy is not interested in her fiance, they team up together which upsets Ann.  Elizabeth was never comfortable with accusing peolpe of witchcraft but she goes along with it to fit in.  Sometimes it appeared that Ann was calling out names that her parents had fed her, while other times it seemed like she really believed she was doing the Lord's work.  Then it would twist again to seem like she was just trying to stay in power.  At the end, even after reading the factual accounts, I was left wondering what had actually happened to afflict little Betty and Abigail Parris...

I think this book was good, but I think it had the potential to be much better.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Deconstructed by Liz Talley

  Update 8/24/22: Liz Talley has written a sequel!  If the Dress Fits comes out October 25, 2022! There are so many things I love about this book. First and foremost, Liz Talley's writing style is fun, easygoing, and feels like a chat with your best friend. Cricket and Ruby are both fierce women, and their friendship is strong, with them truly being there for each other when it mattered. I particularly loved Ruby -- her background, her personality, her style and fashion designs. I wish I could see those designs in person or a drawing of them! No spoilers here, but her love interests and how they turn out are perfect. Yellow carnations -- nice touch. As for Cricket, her journey to catch her husband cheating is a wild, and enjoyable, ride (for the reader, not her!). Along the way, who can blame her if she wants to get to know Griffin better. My only complaint with the book is the little jumps forward between chapters (a week, a month near the end). I wanted more time to know everyth

Monday's Not Coming by Tiffany D. Jackson

 Wow. Just finished this book, and I think it's outstanding. I admit, I found it a little confusing at first, and at times it felt too long. But overall -- outstanding.⁣ ⁣ Claudia comes home from spending the summer with her grandmamma a little upset that she hasn't heard from her best friend Monday. Then Monday doesn't show up for school, for days, weeks, ever. No one seems all that concerned about it, other than Claudia. She's determined to find out where her best friend is even if the adults won't help her.⁣ ⁣ This is both a story of a close friendship between two teen girls, and a chilling take of a girl gone missing.⁣

Bravely by Maggie Stiefvater

  I read in an interview with Maggie Stiefvater that this book would appeal to both fans of the Disney movie Brave, as this is a sequel to the movie, and to her longtime fans. I happen to be an adult fan of both. I decided to rewatch the movie before reading the book because even though Merida is my favorite Disney princess, I haven't seen the movie since it was released, and I wanted to make sure it was fresh in my mind in case I needed to remember any plot points. This is not necessary though, as readers new to Merida's story can still find enjoyment in the book. It picks up a few years after the movie, and though it does occasionally mention the events of the movie, it is an entirely new story, where Merida, the princess of DunBroch, must spend a year trying to bring change to her family in order to save them after making a bargain with two gods. In a way, I think rewatching the movie first hindered my enjoyment of the book, because for the first half, I kept hearing movie M