Skip to main content

Fallout by Ellen Hopkins


One thing I can't deny about Ellen Hopkins is that the lady knows how to write!  I love the flow of every one of her books, the intriguing hooks at the end of each character section, and the different format of each poem/verse.  Some of the layouts are simple and straightforward, while others creatively separate a word or two of each paragraph, forming a separate sentence out of those words that touches on the essence of the entire poem.   In all of these aspects, Fallout does not disappoint.

Fallout is the third book of the Crank series, which is a fictional account of real life events that Ellen Hopkins went through with her own daughter.  She manages to weave truth and fiction together in a fashion that keeps the reader tied to the story.  The two previous books of the series were written from Kristina/Bree's point of view, while Fallout takes a different perspective and shows the reader how Kristina's choices and mistakes have affected the lives of her children some nineteen years later.   Fallout begins with Hunter, Kristina's eldest child, giving a brief explanation of his mother's story, in case the reader has not read the previous books or has forgotten the details.   We also find out that Hunter was adopted by Kristina's mom and stepfather when he was four.  After we learn a little more about Hunter, the story introduces Autumn, the daughter of Kristina and Trey, who we met previously in Glass.  Autumn now lives with her grandfather and Aunt Cora, Trey's father and sister.  Finally we meet Summer, Kristina's third child, who now lives in foster care thanks to the mistakes of her mother and father.  The book alternates between these three teenagers, telling their stories, and relating their feelings about the circumstances of their lives.  As each one learns what it means to be in love, they also discover that they have more in common with each other, and their mom, than they knew.

Throughout the book, there are news articles, usually on the page before Hunter's story continues.  At first I thought these articles would add some insight to the current book, but after a quick review of the two previous books, I realized that these articles were telling the reader what happened to the minor characters of Crank and Glass.  While these little tidbits of information were interesting to a fan of the series, I thought it would be confusing to anyone who might not have read Crank and/or Glass first.  After all, in the beginning, Hunter explains his mom's history, in case someone doesn't already know that story.  I think that without the news articles, the book could stand alone, allowing a reader to pick it up without reading the other two books first.  

There were two other things that bothered me about the book.  One of these things is that when Summer's boyfriend meets her dad, there is a reaction in both of the guys that isn't fully explained.  Summer's dad explains that her boyfriend reminds him of his old friend Trey, but we don't get any further information about the boyfriend's reaction.  Perhaps he was simply having that nervous reaction that is natural when meeting a girlfriend's dad, but it seemed like more than that to me, especially after the dad mentioned Trey.  I kept waiting for the boy to have some kind of connection to Trey, but I guess I just read too much into that.  My other complaint is that most, if not all, of the teenagers in Ellen Hopkins' books seem to be obsessed with sex.  Maybe they are virgins at the beginning of the book, but once they've had a taste, they don't want to stop. From what I can recall at the moment, the only character who hasn't been focused on sex was the main female character in Burned.   It would be nice to see another book from her with a teen who isn't so focused on sex, but on other aspects of being a teenager.  I know these teens exist!  

Overall, Fallout is a great end to the Crank series.  I think if she wanted to continue the series later, there's still room to grow - I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to know what happens to Hunter, Autumn, and Summer, not to mention Donald and David!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Deconstructed by Liz Talley

  Update 8/24/22: Liz Talley has written a sequel!  If the Dress Fits comes out October 25, 2022! There are so many things I love about this book. First and foremost, Liz Talley's writing style is fun, easygoing, and feels like a chat with your best friend. Cricket and Ruby are both fierce women, and their friendship is strong, with them truly being there for each other when it mattered. I particularly loved Ruby -- her background, her personality, her style and fashion designs. I wish I could see those designs in person or a drawing of them! No spoilers here, but her love interests and how they turn out are perfect. Yellow carnations -- nice touch. As for Cricket, her journey to catch her husband cheating is a wild, and enjoyable, ride (for the reader, not her!). Along the way, who can blame her if she wants to get to know Griffin better. My only complaint with the book is the little jumps forward between chapters (a week, a month near the end). I wanted more time to know everyth

Shiver and Linger by Maggie Stiefvater - Slight Spoiler Alert

Review written on August 7, 2010 ** Mildly Spoilerish** Books 1 and 2 in the Mercy Falls series I read Shiver last year, shortly after it came out.  I did really enjoy the book and even voted to be sure it would appear on the list for the committee I'm on.  However, I always had one problem with the book -the "cure".  No one else seemed as bothered by this as me, but I just can't get past that.  I did like that there was some science involved with why they turned into the wolves when it was cold.  Despite the so-called cure, the book was good, so of course I wanted to read the second book, Linger . Only ten chapters in, I was highly annoyed by the book already.  The moment that Grace said that Isabel was cold and Isabel said it was Grace that was hot, I just knew that she was going to be sick and how she would be "cured".  At first I thought that Sam had gotten her sick somehow, but at least that wasn't the case.  At least what Cole decipher

Initial thoughts on Mockingjay

Don't worry, I'm going to try and stay away from spoilers, at least for now!  In my opinion, the hardest part of writing any book or story is writing the ending.  I imagine that it's probably incredibly more difficult when you are writing the ending of a book that has been a popular series.  The author always knows that some fans will love it and some fans will hate it.  Of course you can't please everyone. That said, how do I feel about Mockingjay?  As I book, I loved it, and I wasn't disappointed at all.  The action was just as fast-paced and captivating as the two previous books of the series.  Suzanne Collins has mastered the art of keeping the reader from getting bored.  Around half way through the book, I got a little teary, but I won't say why just yet.  Nor will I reveal what part of the ending of the series made me cry.  Maybe later I'll come back, when more people have finished the book, or when I figure out if there's a way to do something