Skip to main content

Year One by Nora Roberts

Title: Year One
Author: Nora Roberts

Cover: A decent cover that represents the start of the plague and the crows that come with the darkness.

*Mild Spoilers Ahead*

Review: I will say first that I am not a typical Nora Roberts fan. In fact, I've only read three other books by her, that being the Seven Signs Trilogy that starts with Blood Brothers. If I remember correctly, those also had a fantasy/paranormal feel to them, while her typical books do not. It was the fantasy elements of this book that appealed to me.

A plague strikes, first taking a family, but since it is highly contagious and they are traveling after the holidays, it quickly spreads, wiping out large numbers of the population. There are already some people with gifts before the plague hits, but after, these gifts grow stronger, and others gain powers as well. These people, from witches, elves, fairies, and more, are called the Uncanny, and some people blame them for the plague, or are just generally hateful towards them.

This book touches on hatred towards people that are different, as we see the way the Uncanny are treated. There are Dark Uncanny who are bad, but there are bad regular people as well. Some of these people are the ones who mistreat the good Uncanny. We see those who have been bullied, stolen from, even raped and tortured. There are groups out looking to kill Uncanny. The group that calls themselves the Purity Warriors reminded me a bit of white supremacists. I thought it was interesting that Roberts could remind a reader of current day issues while within fantasy/paranormal topics.

Then there's the savior, and I'm not sure what to think about her. I mean because they called her the savior, I couldn't help but wonder if we were supposed to compare her to Jesus, despite that it was not a virgin birth and that she was a girl. I guess we'll see where that storyline goes.

For me, the first 50 pages were awkward, as I adjusted to Roberts's writing style. I wasn't fond of the style, but I liked the story, so I kept reading. I was quickly able to forget what I didn't like about it, and get more into the story. It did move a little faster than I prefer at times, but I realize she was covering a whole year in one book. I just prefer more details. But overall, I enjoyed it and I will read the rest of the series as it comes out.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shiver and Linger by Maggie Stiefvater - Slight Spoiler Alert

Review written on August 7, 2010 ** Mildly Spoilerish** Books 1 and 2 in the Mercy Falls series I read Shiver last year, shortly after it came out.  I did really enjoy the book and even voted to be sure it would appear on the list for the committee I'm on.  However, I always had one problem with the book -the "cure".  No one else seemed as bothered by this as me, but I just can't get past that.  I did like that there was some science involved with why they turned into the wolves when it was cold.  Despite the so-called cure, the book was good, so of course I wanted to read the second book, Linger . Only ten chapters in, I was highly annoyed by the book already.  The moment that Grace said that Isabel was cold and Isabel said it was Grace that was hot, I just knew that she was going to be sick and how she would be "cured".  At first I thought that Sam had gotten her sick somehow, but at least that wasn't the case.  At least what Cole d...

Dry by Neal Shusterman& Jarrod Shusterman

Thirsty? Too bad. We take water for granted. Some people won't even drink tap water, and that can be understandable. But what happens when the taps run dry? Nothing to drink, you can't take a shower, and flushing the toilet is out of the question.⁣ ⁣ In 𝘋𝘳𝘺 by Neal Shusterman & Jarrod Shusterman the drought in South California just got worse. The water has been turned off, and people are just trying to survive. This book is fast-paced and a bit haunting because you can't help but think it could actually happen. ⁣ ⁣ I really enjoyed this one, but I will say, I wouldn't have minded if it had ended on page 367. That would have been some ending, but maybe a little too macabre for a young adult book.⁣

Violet Made of Thorns by Gina Chen

This new take on fairy tales focuses on Violet, a prickly court seer that doesn't particularly care if she is likeable. She certainly doesn't care if Cyrus, the prince she saved years ago, earning her place in court, likes or hates her, as she rather hates him. But it is her place as seer to prophesize whether he will find love in time to break his curse and save the kingdom from war and destruction as the previous seer's prophecy foretold. This book does so many things well! The "villainous" main character - this is my favorite type of character, so the bar was high, but this book does it well. The author made Violet properly prickly and supposedly unrelatable, but that just made me love her so much. Enemies to lovers - the chemistry is believable and enjoyable, moving the story forward as well as the rest of the plot. The beasts - The beasts were described so uniquely and beautifully, a strange combination of plant, fur. and horns. Camilla - Rivaling Violet and ...