Skip to main content

Onyx and Ivory by Mindee Arnett

Title: Onyx and Ivory
Author: Minee Arnett

My Rating: 5 stars

I'm not in love with the cover or the title, but the book? Absolutely! This has earned its spot in my top 3 of the year!

In this young adult fantasy, the main characters are around 19-20.  Kate's father was a traitor, having tried to kill the king, and that has left her with the name "Traitor Kate." Plus she has had to hide her wilder magic ability to speak with and control animals else she be judged for that as well, since wilder magic is illegal. But then she rescues her old friend, Prince Corwin, from a drake attack and things begin to change.

Corwin doesn't want to rule. He has accepted that his brother, Edwin, will likely be the heir. Then he sees Kate again as she rescues him from the drakes and old feelings are rekindled.  But there are more important issues at hand...why are the drakes, typically called nightdrakes, attacking during the day? Is wilder magic involved?

Right at 500 pages, this one is lengthy, but I enjoyed it all.  It didn't drag for me.  This is the start of a new series, and I can't wait for the next book!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Deconstructed by Liz Talley

  Update 8/24/22: Liz Talley has written a sequel!  If the Dress Fits comes out October 25, 2022! There are so many things I love about this book. First and foremost, Liz Talley's writing style is fun, easygoing, and feels like a chat with your best friend. Cricket and Ruby are both fierce women, and their friendship is strong, with them truly being there for each other when it mattered. I particularly loved Ruby -- her background, her personality, her style and fashion designs. I wish I could see those designs in person or a drawing of them! No spoilers here, but her love interests and how they turn out are perfect. Yellow carnations -- nice touch. As for Cricket, her journey to catch her husband cheating is a wild, and enjoyable, ride (for the reader, not her!). Along the way, who can blame her if she wants to get to know Griffin better. My only complaint with the book is the little jumps forward between chapters (a week, a month near the end). I wanted more time to know everyth

Monday's Not Coming by Tiffany D. Jackson

 Wow. Just finished this book, and I think it's outstanding. I admit, I found it a little confusing at first, and at times it felt too long. But overall -- outstanding.⁣ ⁣ Claudia comes home from spending the summer with her grandmamma a little upset that she hasn't heard from her best friend Monday. Then Monday doesn't show up for school, for days, weeks, ever. No one seems all that concerned about it, other than Claudia. She's determined to find out where her best friend is even if the adults won't help her.⁣ ⁣ This is both a story of a close friendship between two teen girls, and a chilling take of a girl gone missing.⁣

Bravely by Maggie Stiefvater

  I read in an interview with Maggie Stiefvater that this book would appeal to both fans of the Disney movie Brave, as this is a sequel to the movie, and to her longtime fans. I happen to be an adult fan of both. I decided to rewatch the movie before reading the book because even though Merida is my favorite Disney princess, I haven't seen the movie since it was released, and I wanted to make sure it was fresh in my mind in case I needed to remember any plot points. This is not necessary though, as readers new to Merida's story can still find enjoyment in the book. It picks up a few years after the movie, and though it does occasionally mention the events of the movie, it is an entirely new story, where Merida, the princess of DunBroch, must spend a year trying to bring change to her family in order to save them after making a bargain with two gods. In a way, I think rewatching the movie first hindered my enjoyment of the book, because for the first half, I kept hearing movie M