Skip to main content

Going Bovine by Libba Bray



 What a strange little book!  Well, technically it's not a little book at all, but strange indeed!


I knew I wanted to read this book before it came out.  I love Libba Bray!  I enjoyed her Gemma Doyle series, and though I knew Going Bovine would be completely different, the idea was intriguing and the book trailer of Libba going around in the cow costume was so fun! 

It took me a while to finally get around to the book, but I'm glad I did.  A couple of my coworkers who also read a lot of YA fiction told me this book wasn't worth reading.  One of them never even finished the book.  I think it was just too strange for them.  I'd heard a lot of things about the book, including reasons why some parents wouldn't let their teens read it.  Still, I went in with an open mind and an open heart.  It didn't take long for me to see how strange the book was, and I could understand why the one coworker didn't finish it.  She thought it was all weird and I thought maybe she didn't get what was actually happening.  I talked to her about it later and found out I was right. 

The premise behind this book is that Cameron isn't thought to be that great of a kid, student, son, etc.  When he starts having hallucinations, he can't even tell his parents about it before his dad blows him off.  When they finally realize that he's sick, with mad cow disease no less, everyone's view of him changes.  To all of the school kids who shunned him before, he's suddenly the dying kid who needs their support.  To his sister, he's no longer an annoyance to her life, but a dying brother.  To his dad, well his dad finally seems to realize that he cares about his son after all. 

I think my coworker saw this as a fantastical book that made no sense, but the more I read, the more I liked it.  After Cameron finds out that there is no medical cure for his disease, he's visited by a punk rock angel who tells him that he has to go on a wild road trip to find a cure.  So off he goes, his new friend Gonzo the dwarf along for the ride.  Just two guys on a crazy adventure.  Or is it?  The first time Cameron falls asleep and dreams of still being in the hospital, the book started to tug at my heart strings.  The whole feel of the book changes with a realization that this book isn't what it first seems to be.  And upon finishing the book, there was no misunderstanding for me as to why this book won the Printz Award for 2010.

I loved Dulcie, the punk rock angel, and Balder, the garden gnome who isn't just a garden gnome.  These two gave the book just what it needed to keep it quirky and fun.  I also enjoyed how there were no real brand names for any of the products in the book.  Libba gave each a brand name that was clear enough for you to figure out what it was, without actually advertising real products. 

Libba Bray is an excellent writer with a knack for writing a quirky, way out there novel that still touches your heart.  If you decide to give this book a try, and then find yourself thinking it's too nonsensical or random for you, keep reading, just a little further, and see if it wins you over like it did me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Deconstructed by Liz Talley

  Update 8/24/22: Liz Talley has written a sequel!  If the Dress Fits comes out October 25, 2022! There are so many things I love about this book. First and foremost, Liz Talley's writing style is fun, easygoing, and feels like a chat with your best friend. Cricket and Ruby are both fierce women, and their friendship is strong, with them truly being there for each other when it mattered. I particularly loved Ruby -- her background, her personality, her style and fashion designs. I wish I could see those designs in person or a drawing of them! No spoilers here, but her love interests and how they turn out are perfect. Yellow carnations -- nice touch. As for Cricket, her journey to catch her husband cheating is a wild, and enjoyable, ride (for the reader, not her!). Along the way, who can blame her if she wants to get to know Griffin better. My only complaint with the book is the little jumps forward between chapters (a week, a month near the end). I wanted more time to know everyth

Shiver and Linger by Maggie Stiefvater - Slight Spoiler Alert

Review written on August 7, 2010 ** Mildly Spoilerish** Books 1 and 2 in the Mercy Falls series I read Shiver last year, shortly after it came out.  I did really enjoy the book and even voted to be sure it would appear on the list for the committee I'm on.  However, I always had one problem with the book -the "cure".  No one else seemed as bothered by this as me, but I just can't get past that.  I did like that there was some science involved with why they turned into the wolves when it was cold.  Despite the so-called cure, the book was good, so of course I wanted to read the second book, Linger . Only ten chapters in, I was highly annoyed by the book already.  The moment that Grace said that Isabel was cold and Isabel said it was Grace that was hot, I just knew that she was going to be sick and how she would be "cured".  At first I thought that Sam had gotten her sick somehow, but at least that wasn't the case.  At least what Cole decipher

Initial thoughts on Mockingjay

Don't worry, I'm going to try and stay away from spoilers, at least for now!  In my opinion, the hardest part of writing any book or story is writing the ending.  I imagine that it's probably incredibly more difficult when you are writing the ending of a book that has been a popular series.  The author always knows that some fans will love it and some fans will hate it.  Of course you can't please everyone. That said, how do I feel about Mockingjay?  As I book, I loved it, and I wasn't disappointed at all.  The action was just as fast-paced and captivating as the two previous books of the series.  Suzanne Collins has mastered the art of keeping the reader from getting bored.  Around half way through the book, I got a little teary, but I won't say why just yet.  Nor will I reveal what part of the ending of the series made me cry.  Maybe later I'll come back, when more people have finished the book, or when I figure out if there's a way to do something